Water Tank Information
Town of Carefree Lawsuit
The Town of Carefree has commenced litigation against our Boulders Homeowners Association to condemn and take immediate possession of a portion of our open desert common land for the stated purpose of allowing its affiliates, the Carefree Utilities Community Facilities District (“UCFD”) and the Carefree Water Company, to install a 300,000 gallon industrial water storage tank and associated machinery. The parcel sought by the town is approximately 0.767 acres, adjacent to Tom Darlington Drive and several homes of BHOA members on Sage Brush Lane. The Town's appraisal values the land at $20,100.
In accordance with Article 9.2 of our association’s CC&Rs, the Board has retained an attorney specializing in real estate law and eminent domain in particular to represent our Association. The Board will continuously evaluate the most effective and economical means of defending members’ interests.
- The progress of the litigation can be followed on the website of the Maricopa Superior Court. The court will periodically update all public information regarding this case at this link: www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/docket/CivilCourtCases/caseinfo.asp?caseNumber=CV2021-006704.
- The Town of Carefree land appraisal and offer to purchase land.
- The Town of Carefree condemnation lawsuit "Boulders Water Reservoir Site" 4/23/21
- Boulders HOA Motion to Dismiss response to Town of Carefree condemnation lawsuit 7/7/21
- Exhibits filed by Boulders HOA in Motion to Dismiss 7/7/21
- Town of Carefree Response to BHOA Motion to Dismiss 7/16/21
- Town of Carefree Hearing Memorandum 7/23/21
- BHOA Evidentiary Hearing Memorandum 7/27/21
- BHOA Reply to Town of Carefree Hearing Memorandum 7/27/21
Carefree Citizens for Responsible Government (CCRG)
At the request of Maureen (Mo) Benedetto we have posted materials regarding two Town of Carefree ballot initiatives. These relate to term limits for elected officials and restrictions on the use of eminent domain to take land designated as “desert open space” within the Town of Carefree. Her organization, the Carefree Citizens for Responsible Government (CCRG), is leading an effort to place these initiatives on the Fall 2021 ballot. The BHOA board takes no position on these initiatives but feels that the BHOA community should be aware of these community centered actions. We support Carefree residents’ ability to vote on these matters.
Town of Carefree Communications
- Mayor's Responses to Questions January 2021
- Reservoir Placement 01.2021
- 2021 Carefree Water Company Board Presentation: Acquisition of Neighborhoods - 2/9/2021
- 2021 Carefree Water Company Board Presentation: Boulders Underground Water Storage Reservoir - 2/9/2021
- Water Acquisition Financial Impact Analysis: Willdan Carefree UCFD Presentation 2/9/2021
- Carefree Water Board Meeting Recording 2/9/2021
- Water Informational Meeting 2/9/20201
BHOA Board Communications
- Water Tank Summary of Important Facts 2/5/2021
- Water Tank Summary of Important Facts #2 - 2/18/2021
- BHOA Board Statement on Town of Carefree Lawsuit - 4/30/2021
- BHOA Board Statement on Town of Carefree Lawsuit - 6/18/2021
- BHOA Board Statement on Town of Careree Lawsuit - 9/1/2021
Boulders North Members' Comments
- Dave McKeown reply to Mary Peterson - 6/29/2021
- Don Schwarzkopf reply to Mary Peterson - 6/25/2021
- Mary Peterson to Don Schwarzkopf - 6/22/2021
- Don Schwarzkopf - Report 8 - 6/21/2021
- Dan Miller - 5/23/2021
- Don Schwarzkopf - Report 7 - 5/6/2021
- Martena Miller - 3/3/2021
- Bernie Pistillo - 3/1/2021
- Anton Wilke - 2/22/2021
- Don Schwarzkopf - Report 6 - 2/16/2021
- Bernie Pistillo - 2/2/2021
- Mo Benedetto - 2/1/2021
- Bernie Pistillo - 1/27/2021
- Don Schwarzkopf - Report 5 - 1/10/2021
- Don Schwarzkopf - Report 4 - 12/28/2020
- Don Schwarzkopf - Report 3 - 12/8/2020
- Don Schwarzkopf - Report 2 - 10/25/2020
- Don Schwarzkopf - Report 1 - 10/4/2020
Information posted will be cordial and not disparaging to any person or entity, as determined in the sole discretion of the Board of Directors. All posts to this portion of the website have been made unedited reflecting the views and opinions of the author only. The Association, the Board of Directors, or the management company do not attest to the truth of the statements made and the Board of Directors retains the authority to remove posts in its sole discretion.
Requested information must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org in PDF form.
Last Updated: 9/1/21